Friday, April 1, 2016

GAME 5 RECAP: Sea Dogs Win 4-3 (OT)

FINAL: Bathurst 3, Saint John 4 (OT)
SAINT JOHN – For the first time since 2012, the Saint John Sea Dogs are off to the second round of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League playoffs.

Thomas Chabot’s bomb from the point 2:39 into overtime gave the Sea Dogs a 4-3 victory over the Acadie-Bathurst Titan on Friday night at Harbour Station, clinching Saint John a 4-1 series win and a berth in the quarterfinals.

It was a back-and-forth first 40 minutes with the game tied 3-3. But, even though they didn’t score, Saint John had a dominant performance in the third period and that momentum carried over into overtime

Sam Povorozniouk, Luke Green and Matt Murphy also scored for Saint John. Marc-Antoine Turcotte made 21 saves in the win.

Bathurst’s goals came from Jeffrey Truchon-Viel, Daniil Miromanov and Mark Simpson. Reilly Pickard made 42 stops in the loss.

The Titan opened the scoring on a power play at 12:02 when Viel redirected a Mark Trickett shot. Soon after at 15:10, the Sea Dogs tied things at 1-1 with a power play goal of their own. Daniel Del Paggio made a great feed to an open Povorozniouk who made no mistake

The Sea Dogs took their first lead of the game at 6:44 of the second. Spencer Smallman carried the puck into the zone and made a great feed to Green in the circle. The Sea Dogs defenseman, playing in his first game of the post-season, wired a wrist shot top corner past Pickard.

29 seconds after Green’s goal, Miromanov banged the puck past the pad of Turcotte to quickly tie things up at 2-2.
Bathurst retook the lead at 12:56 with a shorthanded goal. Following a neutral zone faceoff, Nicholas Blanchard chased down the puck in the Sea Dogs zone and centred it for a wide-open Simpson.

With 1:06 left in the period, Del Paggio fed Murphy in front who beat Pickard to tie the match at 3-3 heading into intermission.

The Sea Dogs dominated the third period, outshooting the Titan 19-3. But despite the lopsided shot total, the game would require overtime.

2:39 into extra time, Chabot fired a bomb from the point that beat Pickard upstairs to give the Sea Dogs a 4-3 victory.

  • The Sea Dogs were without defensemen Bailey Webster (upper body), Alex Bernier (upper body) and Vincent Martineau (healthy) along with forwards Adam Marsh (upper body), Nico Blachman (healthy), Cedric Pare (healthy) and Jordan King (healthy).
  • Luke Green returned to the Sea Dogs lineup after missing the past five games (all four playoff games and the last match of the regular season).
  • The Sea Dogs wore their black third jerseys once again. They are now 3-0 in the playoffs when wearing them.
  • Former Sea Dogs forward and current STU Tommie Jason Cameron joined Tim Roszell on the radio broadcast during the first period.
  • Not a single goal was scored in the opening minute of the game. Shocker.
  • Mathieu Joseph was hurt early in the game and did not return. He was shown on the Rogers TV broadcast leaving the building on a stretcher, reportedly due to a cut on his leg.
  • Former Sea Dogs president Wayne Long was in attendance.
  • Mark Simpson’s shorthanded goal in the second period was his first career QMJHL playoff goal.
  • The Titan only scored seven shorthanded goals during the regular season, the seventh fewest in the league.
  • This will go down as the first game Joseph played in this entire season where he didn’t record a shot on goal.
  • Payton Liske’s overtime goal eliminated the Titan from the 2008 playoffs – which was the last time these two met in the post-season.
  • Saint John became the third team to advance to the QMJHL quarterfinals, joining Rouyn-Noranda and Gatineau.

A dominant third period gave the Sea Dogs momentum heading into overtime, setting up Thomas Chabot’s goal just 2:39 in.

Thomas Chabot
Sam Povorozniouk
Daniel Del Paggio

The Sea Dogs will play their first game of quarterfinals some time next week at Harbour Station against a too-be-determined opponent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment