Thursday, October 29, 2009


Chicoutimi – It wasn’t magnificent but it got the job. That sums up an uneventful Thursday night affair between the Sea Dogs and Chicoutimi Sagueneens. Saint John won their sixth straight game as they defeated the Sags 3-1.

Scoring for Saint John was Jonathan Huberdeau, Steven Anthony, and Yann Sauve. Replying for Chicoutimi was Michael Stinziani.

Saint John got off to a quick start firing everything at Sagueneens goaltender Christopher Gibson.

The Dogs were rewarded for their hard work at 3:02 when Jonathan Huberdeau netted his fourth of the season. He made a nice move around a Chicoutimi player and shot a wrist shot off the post that deflected in. That made it 1-0 Saint John and yet another goal for the Sea Dogs fourth line.

Following the goal Mike Hoffman had a good chance but hit the post on what appeared to be a broken play.

Half way through the period Chicoutimi started to catch up with Saint John. Former Cape Breton Screaming Eagle Michael Stinziani had a good chance off a rebound but couldn’t connect.

Michal Hlinka took penalty at 15:49 to give Saint John their first power play opportunity. Steven Anthony, Hoffman, and Simon Despres had good chances but no finish. Than on the same power play the crowd at the Georges-Vezina Centre cheered when Antoine Roussel laid out Nicholas Petersen.

Saint John took their 1-0 lead into the second period after outshooting the Sagueneens 17-7 through 20 minutes.

Chicoutimi went on the power play to start the second period. Stinziani fired a big shot that was cranked off the cross bar-or so it seemed. After a short review the officials declared it a goal to make the game 1-1. This was Stinziani’s first goal as a Sag.

After a brief delay of confusion over the time that was set on the clock, play resumed with Steven Anthony being robbed by Gibson with the leather.

Shortly after, Olivier Ouellet had a great chance. He wrapped around the Sags net and had a wide open cage but slid it through the crease.

Steven Anthony gave the Dogs back their one goal lead at 7:58 with his team leading 10th goal of the season. The Canucks prospect dug a puck out of the face-off circle and scored right side on Gibson. The goal was followed by a quick chance for Michael Kirkpatrick but could not get-it-to-go after a great pass from his line mate.

Saint John took a 3-1 lead at 13:38 when the defensive player of the week scored his fourth goal of the season. Huberdeau provided enough traffic in front for Yann Sauve to score from just inside the blue line. The goal caps off a banner week for Sauve who, along with player of the week honors, was featured on the THN Hot List and the Vancouver Canucks website.

Some roughing penalties near the end of second period had Gerard Gallant upset. On the ensuing Chicoutimi power play, Antoine Roussel was robbed by the pad of Marc-Antoine Gelinas.

Saint John outshot the Sags 11-8 in the second and lead 3-1 on the scoreboard after two periods.

Nicholas Pard was stoned on a breakaway by Gibson followed by another save on a rebound opportunity. Olivier Ouellet had a good chance in close but hit the side of the net.

Marc-Antoine Gelinas made his stats heard in the third period as well. He stopped a charging Karl-Pierre Marion and than a deflected shot off of the stick of Nicholas Therrien.

Gibson ended the third period stopping Mike Hoffman who broke through the Sags defense. He made 36 saves on the night while Gelinas allowed one goal on 21 shots.

Saint John wins by a final score of 3-1.

NOTES: Yann Sauve has a six game point scoring streak… Saint John has now won six straight games…. Sea Dogs now has sole possession of first place in the QMJHL... Steven Anthony was named the News 88.9 Top Dog.

NEXT GAME: Saint John Sea Dogs vs Baie-Comeau Drakkar. Friday, October 30, 2009, at 8:30 pm at Henry-Leonard Centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment