SAINT JOHN - There was a new face at Sea Dogs training camp on Tuesday in forward Alexander Arab.
Arab, an invite to camp, is on loan from the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies. The Huskies drafted the Bedford, Nova Scotia native in the seventh round of the 2014 QMJHL Entry Draft.
The 17-year-old has spent the past two seasons with Cole Harbour of the Nova Scotia Major Midget Hockey League. Last season he had 14 goals and 20 assists in 32 regular season games and added six goals and 11 assists in 13 playoff games. He showed off some of his offensive skills in today’s rookie games, potting a nice backhand goal in the morning session.
Arab was also a St. Stephen County Aces selection in this year’s MHL Draft.
Some other news and notes from camp today:
- Cedric Pare, one of Saint John’s first round picks in this year’s QMJHL Entry Draft, didn’t play in the evening rookie game after suffering an injury this morning. He was helped off following what appeared to be a leg-on-leg collision.
- Dawson Theede and Sean Ginnell were both listed as injured and didn't play today.
- Joe Veleno got some playing time with his brother in the morning game.
- The exceptional Veleno was put on Team Blue for the evening game where he played on a line with Morgan Barron and Anthony Salemi. Salemi scored a few goals in the game.
- There is another rookie game scheduled for tomorrow morning at 10:30 a.m. It’ll be the fifth match in two-and-a-half days.
- SN photographer Marc Henwood has another excellent photo gallery of shots from tonight’s game.
Photo: Marc Henwood/Station Nation